Sunday, October 18, 2009

weird dreams

I love remembering my dreams. I don't really have nightmares, for the most part, which means my dreams just give me something to think about until I think I know why I had them. It's also a pretty good conversation starter if you aren't worried that your dream might reveal something deep and dark inside.

I have had two recurring dreams in my life. They might have been mild nightmares, but they really didn't torment me. The first recurring dream must have happened when I was around 4 years old. I kept dreaming that I went into the basement of my house and found a sort of "fireman's pole" down into another basement. The second basement was wet. Nothing unusual for a basement, but there were alligators in it. The alligators never got me, and I went down to see them every time I had the dream. I was afraid of the alligators, but I guess not afraid enough to stop looking at them. I don't quite know what that dream meant. Maybe I am sort of attracted to things that scare me and I want to confront them. Or maybe one of my brothers had a rubber alligator that found its way into my dreams. Who knows.

In my teens, I dreamt I was in a car with my cousin Ken. I was driving--this was before I had a license--and I didn't know how to stop the car. At the time, the last thing I wanted was my driver's license. In my waking hours, I was terrified to drive. I must have had this dream 20 times or so. Finally, in the dream I decided to drive the car until it ran out of gas. I can still picture that spot in Sizerville State Park where my imaginary drive ended. I no longer had the dream, and I did soon get my license.

In my dream last night, I found myself in a town somewhere between North Carolina and Pennsylvania, knocking at the door of a girl who graduated from my high school a few years before I did. Because she was a few years older than I, my guess is that if she knew I existed, it was because I was the cashier who waited on her at the Market Basket. She was pretty and popular and I think she was probably a really nice person. So there I was, knocking on her door, meeting her son and her daughter. She had a stone house with beautiful landscaping and two really sweet kids. I have no idea where she lives, if she's married and how many kids she has--if she even has any. In my dream, she never said my name, so I'm not sure she even knew who I was. I left her house and got lost on my way home. (I realize this is a bit hard to follow, but it is a dream and I'm trying to glue it together the best I can.)

I think my dream last night has everything to do with my efforts to enter the world of blogging. I enjoy writing about myself and the way I look at thing that happen all around me. I need to find a way to make it interesting and perhaps a bit less narcissistic. Three of my favorite books growing up were: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, and Go Ask Alice. If I can find people like me, who can relate to my every day life, I hope I can keep them coming back for more. And if you have found yourself reading the last sentences in today's blog, I'd like to thank you for entering my world today. I'm really glad you did.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Elaine. One of my childhood recurring dreams had to do with the basement too! But mine was vivid and scary, I got shot after being chased by burglars. I fell off the bed in real life at that moment in the dream. Do you remember that? We had hunters in the house at the time.

    Nice blog today! You just keep improving. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joyce for the comments. I DO remember your falling out of the bed after a dream, but I didn't remember the dream. Do you remember all of the things we did to help Grandma get ready for the hunters? I think I have another idea for a blog post--thanks!

    ReplyDelete