Friday, October 16, 2009

one small town, one big world, and a beautiful sister

I woke up this morning and checked the results in the voting for the Good Mood Gig talent search. In just over two days, my entry has racked up close to 300 votes. I am amazed by the power of Facebook, but even more thrilled that my sister has taken such an active role in helping me get votes.

I entered this contest because I wanted to win a new computer and a $30,000 blogging contract. I have always enjoyed writing--probably because it's another way to talk. I love to talk. I spent an hour or so, writing my entry and enlisted my daughter to take a picture of me and my dog. Maria takes great pictures.

Trying to get votes brought back memories of my running for student council in middle and high school. My friends were cheerleaders and my sister Veronica was a majorette, but the thing I was most successful at was getting elected for student government.

In high school, I had hoped to get a part in the school play, but I needed to keep my job at the Market Basket to save money for college. When my sister, Joyce got a part in the play, I was a little jealous. That all changed when I went to see her in the play. She is a great actress and probably has more skill than she even realizes. (That's just one thing that makes her wonderful.)

We grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania. With Facebook, a lot of us have reconnected. Now I can see my friends from Emporium. I see their children and even some grandchildren. Like going to a class reunion, it's fun to take a look into lives of people who shared those early years with me in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Thanks to Joyce, who lives in Amman, Jordan, and my friends and family from Emporium, I feel like I'm back home again and it feels good. Joyce made a fan club for me, and right now it has 77 members. It's only one day old. I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment