Friday, October 30, 2009

There's toilet paper on your shoe...

I think we've all been there. Someone you're with has lipstick on her teeth, toilet paper on her shoe, or food between her teeth. It's a dilemma. Do you know (or like) the person enough to be able to tell her about it? Should you just wait for someone else to let her know? Who is obligated to inform her--a best friend, a spouse, an acquaintance? Should you give her a hint by picking at your own teeth for a while? It happens to most of us, at one time or another.


When I slip off to the ladies' room and discover my body or wardrobe indiscretions, I'm often hurt that my friends, or worse even, my husband didn't fill me in on those very fixable situations.


On one occasion, though, I have been the perpetrator of ignoring a person's humiliating moment. This isn't something I say with pride. Rather, I am admitting, maybe even confessing, that I just didn't have the guts to say something about it.


I was at a ladies only luncheon, and this woman I barely knew was wearing a very fashionable short dress with a slit up the back. The slit found it's way up a bit too far that day, and (thank goodness, really) she had big white granny panties on. It seemed that every time I got near her, there was a conversation I didn't want to interrupt, or I had a mouth full of food, and I never had the nerve to tell her.


I'm not quite sure who must have told her about it, but I did see her in a long sweater, probably lent to her by a kinder and more considerate person than I. So someone did the right thing. But I'll always look back and regret my not telling her.


Since then, I'm glad to say, I've never waited to tell someone about the spinach in her teeth, the shirt tucked into underwear, or the blond hairs all over the back of a black sweater. If someone has bad breath, I try to offer mints or gum. I hope that others will do the same for me, but just to be safe, I don't think I will be wearing any short dresses with slits up the back...

No comments:

Post a Comment